Gear Institute Expert Test Menu

GEAR NATION

Saucony Peregrine 6 (Spring 2016)

More
1 year 4 months ago #3572

The below is a consumer review. To read official Gear Institute Trail Running Shoe reviews, head to www.gearinstitute.com/running/trail-shoes .

SAUCONY PEREGRINE 6 (SPRING 2016)
I tested the Saucony Peregrine at Bootleg Canyon in Nevada during several 4-10 mile runs, with my second run in them being a 10 miler. I was impressed with how the shoe felt on my foot, especially right out of the box. The afternoon I received them I put 4.5 miles on them along rocky, compacted trails with no issues. I really like this shoe.
COMFORT: 9/10
I really like the way the Peregrine fits my foot. The wider toe box gave my foot the room it needs, without feeling too bulky or big. I was surprised at the flexible toe area, as most trail shoes have a rigid toe guard. The sole is firm enough to protect the foot from rocks, yet it is supple enough that I could turn the shoe over and run at a faster pace. The rock protection is on par with other max cushion shoes I’ve run in.
SPEED: 10/10
As I just stated, this shoe enabled me to run at a quick clip. I’ve been running in Hokas, and the Peregrines were so much faster. This included my 10 mile run, which I was able to knock out in the fastest pace I’d run that route yet. The 4mm drop fits my running style, and the shoe’s low profile design enables you to move along the trail quickly.
SECURITY OF FIT: 9/10
I loved the way these fit out of the box. Straightforward lacing system, heel locked into place, wide toe-box, and a good insole. I didn’t experience any slippage on downhill portions at the end of my run. We ran the last three miles downhill at a 7:20 clip and my toes didn’t feel the end of the toe box once.
DURABILITY: 8/10
The sole seems to be holding well, the lacing eyelets are beefed up, and the upper is well constructed. My concern is the toe as there is no toe guard. Well, what is there is nearly non-existent. If you’re like me and run in really rocky terrain you’ll want to look at the toe guard. I prefer something more covering my little sausages while I run, but that’s just me.
AGILITY AND RESPONSIVENESS: 10/10
As I stated, these shoes are fast. I enjoyed running in them because they remind me of a track shoe. Even on the pavement, with their big mean tread, they felt fast. Cornering in these wasn’t an issue, and I didn’t have any ankle issues while running in them.

Last Edit: 9 months 1 week ago by jordandee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #3602

I have never worn Saucony in the past. No spec sheet accompanied this shoe. From pictures I can say the outsole is significantly different than previous versions. Additionally, the 6 has Everrun midsole material which is a new technology from Saucony for 2016 that is suppose to absorb more at impact, return more at toe off and weigh less than EVA. Similar to Boost from Adidas.

Good
Light weight
Aggressive tread
Protection in a low profile package

Bad
Poor Fit to my foot
Lack of arch support

The Verdict
The Saucony Peregrine 6 is a light weight, low profile, aggressive trail shoe. The combination of closely clustered deep rubber lugs and a rock plate provide adequate protection which allows for fast and intense running on the most extreme trails. A more secure midfoot wrap, a more narrow heel and an elastic upper would increase security when bombing down hills, but overall a fun shoe to run in on gnarly trails.
I find this shoe similar to the Altra Superior and NB MT110, although with more protection and traction than both of these.

Full Review
1. Security and Fit
Something just not right for my foot. This wasn't a deal breaker, but I found the shoe wide in the heel and midfoot. Possibly this would be improved if I went down a 1/2 size but then its seems likely it would be more narrow feeling in the toe box(and too short of course). Also, the upper seems to be better suited for high volume feet, especially through the midfoot. There is no medial wrapping or arch support, so this could be the cause of me feeling like I just couldn't get my foot "locked in." I tried cinching the laces tighter and wearing thicker socks, this helped some. Adding an aftermarket arch support could perhaps help me in this issue. The upper is a non elastic material, also contributing to the loose feel.
The Pearl Izumi TN1 provides a much more secure experience with increased comfort.

2. Flexibility
A adequate amount of flexibility that is uniform throughout the platform without a "hinge point" that I could discern. I don't think there is a heel counter or any density changes within the shoe making for a smooth transition from heel to toe. I could feel my foot working more because of the flexibility, but not too much to where I limit my distance because of it. The shoe is more flexible than the Pearl Izumi TN1, however less flexible than the Altra Superior, and the Topo MT2.

3. Comfort
The heel collar is nice and plush, with about a centimeter of foam which is soft on the ankle, however the collar is perhaps a little higher than other shoes which was slightly annoying. The Everrun topsole combined with the soft rubber lugs provided a surprisingly soft and comfortable ride in a shoe with such a low profile. In most other shoes of this stack height I expect my feet to have a "beat up" feeling, but not the case in the Peregrine 6.
As mentioned earlier, the upper is not elastic, which is disappointing, but it was adequate at keeping out debris.
Interestingly, the laces are thick, rough, and tri colored; they reminded me of laces I had in my LA Lights as a child. I assume the roughness is to promote some friction to prevent untying. It works very effectively. I had no issues with re tying during my runs.

4. Stability
This is the difference maker. The outsole is one of the most gnarly I have ever seen in a trail shoe. It reminds me of shark's multiple rows of teeth. Soft, thick rubber lugs are closely packed and angled in a fan pattern forward and out in the forefoot, straight in the midfoot, backwards and outward in the heel. This outsole allowed for very aggressive running on steeps, in debris, and off trail. Despite its aggressiveness, because the lugs are soft and tightly packed, it was not uncomfortable on hard pack or road running either, although I wouldn't choose this shoe first for a road/trail mix. It's definitely a trail shoe. It shed mud well also.
The only shoes I have ever worn with a comparable amount of traction are the Inov8 MudClaw and Salom Speedcross. While both of these shoes excelled in the steeps and the mud, neither has the versatility of the Peregrine to be serviceable on hardpack and road as well.

5. Speed and Agility
A very fast shoe with light weight and responsiveness. Because of the protection, I had no fear of hurting my feet bombing down hills. The 4mm drop encourages a little forward lean which contributed to the fast feel of the shoe. Lateral movements could be improved with a better upper.

Tested
Several runs of over 1 hour on single track that involved 1k of climbing and decent on a mix of shale, tacky mud, rocky debris, and dirt. I also ran several of my daily commutes on a combination dirt/rock road and bike path with 500 feet of climb and decent.

Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by lou.brenner06.

More
1 year 3 months ago #3652

Saucony Peregrine 6

COMFORT: 8/10
The upper to the Peregrine 6 is built on a more generous last than a shoe like the Pearl Izumi Trail N1. There is tons of room in the forefoot and this extends back to a wider midfoot and heel as well. I prefer a more snug wrap in the midfoot and heel but to each their own. The cushioning is noticeable but not squishy and the forefoot rockplate is very flexible. The shoe feels better/ more flexible the more miles you put on it.

SPEED: 8/10
Saucony used its new Everrun Material in the heel of this shoe and while im not a heel striker I still notice a good amount of “pop” from the shoe and the firm(ish) cushioning really begs for a quick cadence. If the upper had a more dialed in fit through the midfoot and heel I would have rated even higher.

SECURITY OF FIT: 6/10
The last of the Peregrine is very generous. I have a fairly high volume foot and it still manages to feel baggy in the toebox, midfoot and heel. I haven’t had any issues with blisters but on technical trail and descents my foot moves around a lot inside the shoe. I have tried several different lacing methods with no luck.

DURABILITY: 9/10
Outsole looks in great shape still which is great news because the lugs work great. The upper has not frayed in any way and feels better and more flexible than new.

AGILITY AND RESPONSIVENESS: 7/10
This is where the shoe feels conflicted. The lugs on the outsole are fantastic in all terrain offering great grip without sacrificing ground feel and comfort, the midsole is very responsive and the 4mm drop makes me want to go fast, but the fit of the shoe just wont let me push it when things get technical.

OVERALL: 7.5/10
For a high volume foot this is a great race day option for a 10k up to the ultra distances. I just wish it fit my foot a little better.

More
1 year 3 months ago #3657

Awesome. While I felt like the Peregrine’s are a bit insecure in the upper (too much volume in the last for my foot), that was my only complaint (and that’s almost certainly because the sample they sent me was just the wrong size -- half a size too large -- I’m ordering a new pair now). These are great all-around trail runners--light and fast enough for the speedy set but protective enough for technical trails and long cruising.
They do a great job combining a low, responsive ride with a cushy feet—two characteristics that are often opposed to each other in trail shoes. The new “EverRun” foam layer beneath the insole is easy to feel. It lends a soft touch to the initial impact but doesn’t feel sluggish or mushy. There’s a perceptibly higher level of comfort immediately beneath the foot that I liked a lot.
The tread is aggressive enough for the loose surfaces you find on most dry trails (loose dirt, light gravel) and feel smooth on hardpack.
I did have puckering in the vamp (there’s too much volume there) and it was hard to dial in a locked-in fit (too much volume in the midfoot as well). That lent the shoe a bit of a tipsy feel in off-kilter terrain, but it was not bad -- just about average. I do recommend this shoe for wider feet, and narrow feet may just want to get a loftier sock and lower their expectations a little bit about jamming through hop-scotch terraain. I’d give the midfoot security a 5 out of ten.
Very nice pared back upper with no friction points whatsoever. Nice protective rockplate you can’t feel. This shoe rocks.
Comfort: 8-9
Midfoot security: 5
Speed: 7
Responsiveness: 7
Quality of fit:
Agility: 6-7

The following user(s) said Thank You: nevergiveup

More
1 year 3 months ago #3670

Thus far I think the Saucony Peregrine 6 is in the running for "best in class." Granted, I have run in just about every model of this shoe since its inception. With the Peregrine 6, Saucony continues with the tradition of making a lightweight, race ready trail beast (8.5oz, 4mm). In addition, the Peregrine 6 was comfortable right out of the box. It has a wide toe box, perfect for wider feet, that has a little too much volume, making it a little sloppy for low volume or narrower feet. I really appreciated the aggressive tread and rock plate for crushing technical terrain. In addition, the firmer midsole made the Peregrine 6 feel really responsive and agile for speedy efforts, yet it is cushioned enough for longer runs. Despite the lightweight, the Peregrine 6 feels overbuilt in the heel counter. I did appreciate the synthetic overlays in the upper to help secure the otherwise voluminous upper. Personally, I think Saucony can lose the stitching for the toe guard and heel counter. Regardless, this is still one of my favorites for its lightweight, performance-oriented, aggressive nature.

Comfort: 9/10
Security of fit: 8/10
Speed: 9/10
Agility/Responsiveness: 8/10

Overall: 8.5/10 There have definitely been some improvements in durability from earlier models. However, I would love to see the Peregrine stick to a simpler, lighter, and less built up version of itself....perhaps a cross between the Saucony Nomad TR (last season) and the Peregrine!

More
1 year 2 months ago #3808

Although the aesthetic of the shoe initially made me less than enthusiastic about testing it (not because they look bad, but because they seemed overbuilt to me), once I put them on and started running I had a fantastic time. Overall, the Saucony Peregrine 6 is a tremendous shoe. They are very well built shoes and have proven to be versatile and fast.

Comfort:
These shoes struck the absolute perfect balance between being comfortable and being stiff enough to provide a stable platform. The insole wasn’t unnecessarily soft and the arch wasn’t overbuilt. The mesh fabric that is used was breathable but maintained great weather resistance. As far as I know they don’t have any sort of waterproof materials, but my feet felt dry running through wet grass and muddy trails. This bears repeating because it really did impress me: the insole is probably the best I’ve tested in a traditional trail running shoe.

Speed:
These shoes are somewhat heavy, but they seemed surprisingly fast to me. I had no issues running intervals in these shoes. They are very stable shoes, which is a characteristic that lends itself well to speed.

Security of fit:
This was my major gripe with the shoe. The fit, similar to the Saucony Nomad TR, was a bit too roomy for my feet. I have feet that are fairly meat-deficient so it probably wouldn’t be an issue for most people. For people like me who do have average width and somewhat boney feet, fit should be a consideration when buying these shoes. The shoe felt especially loose around the heel. The laces are great quality and locked my midfoot in well, but without using the last eyelet and tying a heel lock (which the laces are slightly too short for) my heel was noticeably raising out of the shoe.

Durability:
These shoes are very well made. The mesh is breathable but doesn’t concern me at all about its long-term durability. Even the laces feel like they’re high quality. The rubber that they use for the treads is also proving to be quite durable and isn’t showing much sign of wear even after running on tarmac.

Agility and Responsiveness:
If you can get a proper fit then I’m guessing these will be very responsive because they’re stable. They could have been a bit better if they had a more secure fit. For example, I pretty much never roll my ankles and even I rolled them twice while running in them because my feet slid around. Like I said though, I think that’s mainly a matter of having a good fit. The only other fault that I found with these shoes was although they maintained grip well they didn’t shed mud easily, which made them heavier when running on wet trails (and I got yelled at for tracking mud into the house!).

Who are these for:
I’d say that if you can get a good fit, these are great trail shoes to buy. They handled roads better than expected so they could potentially be a one-shoe-quiver. They are well-rounded trail shoes that lend themselves well to LSD running as well as faster paced interval workouts.

These shoes were tested using Darn Tough Tab No Show Ultra-Light socks ( darntough.com/men/mens-run/tab-no-show-ultralight#152=967 ) which are the best running socks I have ever used. They hug every contour of the foot perfectly, never get bunched up, and come backed with one of the best guarantees I’ve ever seen (talk about confidence in their product!).

Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Vyth.

More
1 year 2 months ago #3839

This is undeniably a well-made, mountain-ready shoe. I loved the looks of it, and once I laced it up—which it did fairly securely (though a bit too roomy in the front)—it had a nice stable feel and satisfying shock absorption. It continued to impress on technical up-and-down trails—I wouldn’t call it nimble, but it can handle a good variety of terrain. Between the deep lugs and the solid rock plate, it did an excellent job of protecting my feet. Traction was quite good, but wearing it on wetter trails, the tread picked up a whole lot of mud, resulting in a very trudgy feel. This was my gripe in general: running on flats, it always felt a bit clunky; but I'm comparing it against much more pared-down Altras and Topos. Speed was not its calling card—not bad, but not great. The construction is excellent, it's held its shape very well after 20 miles, and I expect this will outlast every other shoe in this test. I agree with Justin: “They do a great job combining a low, responsive ride with a cushy feel—two characteristics that are often opposed to each other in trail shoes.” (Oddly, my size 10s weigh in at 3/4 oz more than advertised—based on the official 9.4 oz on the size 9.) 10 1/4 oz (size 10)

Comfort: 7
Security of Fit: 8
Durability: 9
Agility: 7
Protection: 9

More
1 year 1 month ago #3894

Awesome. While I felt like the Peregrine’s are a bit insecure in the upper (too much volume in the last for my foot), that was my only complaint (and that's almost certainly because I had to run in a M10 instead of an M9.5). These are great all-around trail runners--light and fast enough for the speedy set but protective enough for technical trails and long cruising.
They do a great job combining a low, responsive ride with a cushy feet—two characteristics that are often opposed to each other in trail shoes. The new “EverRun” foam layer beneath the insole is easy to feel. It lends a soft touch to the initial impact but doesn’t feel sluggish or mushy. There’s a perceptibly higher level of comfort immediately beneath the foot that I liked a lot.
The tread is aggressive enough for the loose surfaces you find on most dry trails (loose dirt, light gravel) and feel smooth on hardpack.
I did have puckering in the vamp (there’s too much volume there) and it was hard to dial in a locked-in fit (too much volume in the midfoot as well). That lent the shoe a bit of a tipsy feel in off-kilter terrain, but it was not bad -- just about average. I do recommend this shoe for wider feet, and narrow feet may just want to get a loftier sock and lower their expectations a little bit about jamming through hop-scotch terrain. I’d give the midfoot security a 5 out of ten.
Very nice pared back upper with no friction points whatsoever. Nice protective rockplate you can’t feel. This shoe rocks.
Comfort: 8-9
Midfoot security: 5
Quality of fit:
Agility: 6-7

Time to create page: 0.437 seconds